Mailing List: (Groups.io)
Bi-Weekly- Wednesday, 7.30am PST
Meeting Minutes - 1/20/2021
#1 What does ONAP offer to an enterprise customer (IoT, Financial, Healthcare, Gaming, etc) that we can't get from existing cloud offers or outside the Cloud.
#2 What does ONAP offer on top of that outside of the telco space?
1) 3rd party vendors using ONAP to serve their enterprise customers (operating model - managed services)
2) Operators offering solutions to Enterprises (based on 5G Techno - Network Slicing, Virtual Edge, etc) supported by 3rd party vendors
- Feedback from Carriers:
- Fernando Oliveira- Investment in Gaming, Edge Computing - possibility to re-use ONAP as a key orchestrator
- Catherine Lefevre - Edge Computing is the area where AT&T have invested (i.e. Akraino) in conjunction with ONAP possibilities; We have a Gaming division inherited from TimeWarner but not yet explored added-value of ONAP in this space
3) Enterprise customers running ONAP themselves (on their premises), supported/trained by 3rd party vendors
#1 Investigate what Openstack is offering to Enterprise Business?
#3 Maybe reconnect with Helen Chenabout Healthcare
#4 Ask TSC members, EAUG if any contact point from their Enterprise Business
#5 Kick-off a survey to get feedback about interest and use cases
Meeting Minutes (LFN Event) - 2/2/2021
Meeting Minutes - 2/17/2021
- Review action items from LFN Event
- to rebrand ONAP and its components outside the "Network" domain
- to be able using ONAP components independently
- to demonstrate with some real cases ONAP components with other systems/applications (not CNF, PNF, VNF)
- to use ONAP (or a subset of ONAP) as a black box
- Survey - key items (in progress)
- Comments: Need to re-adjust the survey and also ONAP message based on "Enterprise" Terminology
- What are your goals about Cloud migration?
- Are you already hosting your IT applications in public cloud or private cloud managed by a 3rd party vendors? If not - Where are you in your virtualization journey?
- What are the different major steps being part of your migration?
- Which OSS/BSS systems/IT applications will not be part of your virtualisation journey? Hybrid model (Private on prem/Cloud & Public Cloud)
- (After introducing ONAP) which consumption model do you think you would like to adopt? Or will you adopt another one not listed below? Need to re-adjust the consumption model for Enterprise Business
- Have you any regulatory requirement to be considered?
- Any particular device/standard to be supported and connected to your IT application(s) ?
- Size of production deployment (small/medium/large)? Define "size' for Enterprise Business
- What would you consider "as a service" for your Enterprise Business (which application, what type of IT support, etc?)
- Some material:
Meeting Minutes - 3/3/2021
- Suggestion to reschedule this meeting on Wednesday at 7am PST (to be discussed on 3/4 during the next ONAP TSC)
- Creation of a new EUAG (End User Advisory Group) dedicated to Enterprise Businesss (under preparation) - LFN Board to be voted on March 24th, 2021
- Kenny will provide criteria to be part of this new EAUG (not company membership) but people involved in deployment, design, implementation, etc.
- Open beyond "carriers"
- Intro about DARPA Program with Trudy Morgan (Cloud Computing Expert)
- Focus on 5G Network Security
- 4 years program
- E2E Open Source 5G Network across the US
- ONAP Added-Values: ONAP for Orchestration including Network Slicing, AI/ML/DL
- Mostly all the components are open source components except RAN part
- Some ONAP pages about Network Slicing
- SDOs: ETSI, 3GPP
- Current status:
- Amar Kapadia(representing LFN/ONAP Community) is currently setup an ONAP test-bed to demonstrate E2E Network Slicing capabilities
- Lab currently open but required VPN connection, located in San Diego
Meeting Minutes - 3/17/2021 @7am PST
- 5G Super Blueprint
- Discussion about ONAP/ODA Integration
- How ONAP could improve/build Network Service Visualization/Customer Facing Service (CFS)?
- Currently Network Slicing activities are trying to work on this area
- TAC Whitepaper is in progress
- Additional information about CSMF
- What are CSMF functionalities supported by ONAP today?
- Will ONAP support any CFS capability?
Meeting Minutes - 3/31/2021 @7am PST
- Trudy Morgan : Present first ONAP/OPS-5G use cases
- 5 year effort - all work being done in the LF. Work will be up-stream w/o forking code
- NIWC: Naval Information Warfare Center
- Research project - all work is unclassified.
- Deck presented today: OPS 5G Use Case.pdf
- 5G Super Blueprint Roadmap is also considering the OPS 5G program inputs.
- Goal is to use as much OSS as possible, but may need commercial solutions initially in areas that are less OSS mature like RAN i.e. 5UE, Commercial gNB
- From a testing perspective, the goal is to us Nationwide network to enhance DoD ability to test 5G Core security (Multisite OPS 5G Joint Independent Testing Option) but it will also dependent on Magma deployment model.
- ONAP capabilities to support this program:
- Orchestrate/Instantiate and Magma Orchestrator (instead of SO)
- ONAP Network Slicing functionalities
- Control Loop mechanisms (including ONAP/Acumos)
- Akraino/ONAP Blueprint
- Believe that we need to be proactive on this
- Would like Aarna to provide a regular update on progress to this team. Set aside the first 5-10 mins of every meeting for that purpose.
- Need to make sure that standard process workflow is followed for feeding requirements into the community
- ONAP Enterprise Task Force will be the first entry point for OPS 5G program supported by the Requirements, Architecture and Security subcommittee representatives.
Meeting Minutes - 4/14/2021 @7am PST
- Latest ONAP/OPS 5G updates from Amar Kapadia
- ONAP/Magma discussions on April 8th - Deep Dive about ONAP
- Current understanding is that we could use REST API (northbound ITF) or Mesh
- OPS 5G meeting on April 9th - focus on E2E Network Slicing
Welcome and Introduction Neil Hoff, NIWC PAC
Super Blueprint and 2021 Roadmap, including slicing Amar Kapadia, Linux Foundation
OPS-5G Technical Area 3 (SABRES) – Secure Slicing Dr. Erik Kline, USC/ISI
MAGMA - Target release for network slicing and timeline for requirements development Amar Padmanabhan, Facebook
ONAP - How network slicing will be orchestrated by ONAP Swaminathan Seetharaman, Wipro
OUSD(R&E) comments / discussion
Key take away: Align people on "what it is a Slice" terminology
- How could ONAP interact with Magma GW/Magma Controller?
Some additional info about Magma
- First deployment of 5G-FWA in June 2021 (Brazil)
- Can be deployed on ARM/ESXI
- Horizontal scaling
- NB ITF = REST (to be connected with ONAP) or Mesh
#1 Create a dedicated controller via SDNC and handle Magma GW like any other device
#2 Have an adapter for the magma in ONAP Service Orchestrator and use it as a resource orchestrator for the specific jobs. Disadvantage: create something specific
#3 5G PNF Plug & Play and consider Magma GW as a PNF?
Current proposal: Avoid to create something specific but re-use what it is already developed in ONAP (SO/SDNC/SDNR) and orchestrate directly the Magma GW via gRPC
Need to understand what it is behing the Magma GW and explore if there is a possibility to interact directly with the devices? Maybe not acceptable
Advantage: full re-use of the current E2E Network slicing capabilties developed in ONAP - 5G Super Blueprint_ONAP_Magma proposal (V1)
Magma Core Orch is decsribed here https://docs.magmacore.org/docs/orc8r/architecture_overview
Meeting Minutes - 4/28/2021 @7am PST
- Feedback from Swaminathan Seetharaman about future scope/functionalities/roadmap supported by CSMF (Communication Service Management Function)
With ref. to the roadmap for CSMF, there is nothing planned for Istanbul release. Anything beyond it will depend on the interest from use case contributors and/or community.
A few points which came up in our earlier discussions include the following. However, none of them have progressed further since then.
#1 Control Loop actions at Communication Service (e.g., eMBB) level (service assurance) which will be driven by CSMF. This could result in slice-level reconfigurations, or even re-mapping of the service to a different slice instance.
#2 Having different service priorities, e.g., resulting in pre-emption (when needed) during service fulfilment and during operation, for services having a higher priority
- Integration with Magma Controller/GW
#1 Review the 4 ONAP/Magma action items identified on 4/14/2021 - Feedback from Amar Kapadia, Prabhjot Singh Sethi (email@example.com)
Magma Controller REST Interface - magma | 1.0.0 | karthiksubraveti | SwaggerHub
Magma Controller = orc8R = magma/orc8r at master · magma/magma · GitHub
Doc web site: Introduction · Magma Documentation
There is no Magma GW documentation at this stage
Magma GW = to be considered as CNF (by June 2021); currently available as PNF/VNF
Magma Controller= CNF
#2 Currently the goal is to interact with the Magma Controller as a first step directly.
As part of the roadmap, we should also investigate if there is a way to interact directly with the Magma GW (reduce 1 overhead layer between Magma/ONAP)
Additional information are required about Magma Controller to finalize the right architecture.
#3 Currently the scaling of GW is manual and triggered by the user.
Magma Controller is also manual so both (Controller/Magma) can be orchestrated via ONAP
Opportunity for ONAP to automate the scaling of Magma GW (Control Loop)
#4 Can we conclude Magma is an EMS (Element Management System)? YES
#5 5G Blueprint based on Guilin/Honolulu? Magma release is scheduled by June 2021 therefore let's consider ONAP Honolulu release
#6 Is there any Security Magma requirement? based on HTTPS, Mesh? Not yet available.
Currently used DockerCompose, next step will be used Helm v3.0.
#7 Any information about Magma packaging, modeling requirement?
Recommendations: TOSCA descriptor pointing to HELM (in alignment with ETSI specs
- Byung-Woo Jun - Next on ONAP CNF Task Force - every Thursday at 1pm UTC
- Initial analysis about Magma integration on April 29th, 2021
- Marian Darula, Byung-Woo Jun, Thinh Nguyenphu -
- CNF packaging/modeling recommendations on May 6th, 2021
Meeting Minutes - 5/12/2021 @7am PST
- Linux Foundation to take over Facebook's Magma | Light Reading
- Review of the integration with Magma Controller/GWs
- Byung-Woo Junshared the latest Magma architecture proposal
- Amar Kapadia explained that there are two interactions expected with ONAP: Deployment/Onboarding & Instantiation
- Arun Thulasi (from Magma's team) provided additional information about how Magma Controller & GWs are deployed. Magma Controller is today deployable on AWS K8s. Goal is to have GWs fully containerized by June 2021. Magma controller (orc8R) is managing all GWs. Additional information: Configure AGW · Magma Documentation
- Chaker Al-Hakim sees Magma components as services orchestrated by the ONAP Platform. ONAP will onboard Magma via SDC, instantiate Magma Controller via SDNC and then collect KPIS/Telemetry data to trigger any Control Loop action (if required) + Network Slicing capabilities (NSMF through NBI)
- Prabhjot Singh Sethi shared the HL Integration Plan
- Byung-Woo Jun , Prabhjot shared the Magma Component Day 0 Deployment, https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1xOtLOqAXZ6dRNH2d_ETIFXbJkcx3B5yw2oUdFgXVCmI/edit?usp=sharing
- LFN DDF Event on June 7th-10th - Proposal to be submitted by May 14th - https://wiki.lfnetworking.org/display/LN/2021+LFN+Developer+Event+Topics+June
Agenda - 5/26/2021 @7am PST
- Review of the integration with Magma Controller/GWs
- Code updated for AWS environments and is how available.
- Up and running with 2 deployments
- fully containerized GW planned for v1.6 ( ~4 weeks out)
- discussion this week and next should have sufficient content for the DTF
- standard SDC/SO/Multicloud model should be able to be used.
- potential for SDNC or CDS might be able to be used later - TBD
- Possibility of plug-n-play model to be used for AGW - something to look at
- Installing the access GW automatically would be valuable
- existing Magma baremetal upgrade model installs as a new package or collection of packages
- For ONAP assumption of initial deployments are PNF and time permitting then on CNF
- Suggestion to have a meeting next week at the same time with a smaller group. (TAC conflict noted)
- Information about Magma Security requirements @Arun Thulasi
- public certs are used for connects between internal components and HTTPS
- Magma provides the certificate to client
- The three above links should address some of the questions that we discussed in better detail
- DTF Event in June - 2021-06-DD - ONAP TSC Task Force: ONAP For Enterprise Business
- Is the slot OK i.e. Tue Jun 8 2021, 16:30 - 17:30 CET/10.30am-11.30am EST?
- Shall we meet on June 2nd, 2021 to finalize the DDF presentation?
- ONAP For Enterprise call will be canceled on June 9th due to DDF event.
Agenda - 6/2/2021 @7am PST
- Latest 5G Super Blueprint press release - Super Blueprints Integrate the 5G Open Source Stack from Core to Door
- Review DDF Event presentation - 2021-06-DD - ONAP TSC Task Force: ONAP For Enterprise Business
- How does the Enterprise Task Force feel about starting at 7.30am PST? Approved by the TF - Catherine to re-adjust the calendar accordingly
- ONE Summit - Call For Proposals (CFP) | Linux Foundation Events - deadline: June 20th, 2021 - Let's submit an abstract !!!
Agenda - 6/23/2021 @7.30 am PST
- 5G Super Blueprint - Rules of the Road - Under Construction - LF Networking - LF Networking Confluence
- Magma/ONAP Integration - latest updates ?
- Magma Roadmap
Action Items (In Progress)
- Catherine Lefevre : Does anybody explore any ONAP/ODA Integration
- Kenny Paul : Invite Walmart (Date to be confirmed)
- Rework our ONAP Added Values Message in alignment with Vertical Industry & Enterprise Business
- Contact Enterprise Business Units within our own company
- Prepare the Survey (In progress)
Action Item (Closed)
- (Catherine) To follow up with Swaminathan Seetharaman about scope/functionalities/roadmap supported by CSMF
- Kenny): Setup onboarding process for DARPA Program
- (Veronica): Provide the Orange Invite to be shared with the ONAP community
- (Kenny) Collect any EUAG Use Cases
- (Kenny) add an item to TSC call - 3/25 about EUAG for Enterprise
- (Kenny) add an item to TSC call - 3/4 - new schedule for Task Force - Enterprises + introduce agenda (3/31) - Alla Goldner, Timo Perala (requirement subcommittee) and Chaker Al-Hakim(architecture subcommittee) to attend
- (David): Follow-up with Amar Kapadiaabout TSC presentation about current status regarding OPS-5G & LFN Activities
- (Catherine): Recheck the ONAP Calendar
- Kenny Paulset up meeting invite for next week