HPA feature (using OOF) ensures that the VNF instances are placed in cloud regions that have platform capabilities as expected by VNF workloads. For example, if a VNF workload requires XYZ vendor SRIOV-NIC and ABC vendor crypto accelerator, HPA feature of ONAP will ensure that the VNF is placed in a cloud region that have compute nodes with XYZ SRIOV-NIC card and ABC vendor Crypto accelerator card.
- Policy based HPA was introduced.
- Model driven HPA was introduced (TOSCA based). With this, both SO and VFC based use cases can leverage HPA based placement feature.
- Use cases:
- vFW with HPA
- vCPE-TOSCA with HPA
Main focus is to harden HPA feature, make it easily deployable, create literature and create easy-to-replicate demos.
Also, fix any gaps and bugs that are discovered during hardening and testing.
Our aspiration is also to make existing use cases always leverage HPA functionality as part of integration testing.
Stretch goal: is to support multiple choices in specifying a feature requirement in policies.
Owner : Alexander Vul
Participating Companies: Intel, VMware
Use Case Name
Integration Team Liaison
|vFW, vDNS||Intel/Windriver Lab, VMware Lab (TBD)|
|vCPE with TOSCA||China Mobile Lab|
- Ready with right setup Intel/WR lab
- Have few compute nodes with right HW
- Ensure to have SRIOV-NIC cards
- Ensure to have crypto accelerator cards (QAT)
- Usage of CLI only - Work with the teams to avoid any curl commands, update of DB entries, kubectl exec & configuration files.
- Work on some of the gaps identified in Casablanca (Issues listed here: HPA Hardening Issues)
- New vIPSEC sample VNF : Create a new sample VNF (IPSEC VNF) for them to leverage crypto accelerator cards.
- Start with traditional Ubuntu with QAT driver installed.
- Create new test cases with various HPA features assigned to VNFs. Few example:
- vFW with dedicated cores, SRIOV-NIC VF, Huge pages
- vIPSEC with QAT
- vIPSEC with AES-NI
- Work with Integration team to add the test cases in integration project.
- Work with demo repository owners to introduce new sample VNFs and add new HEAT/ENV files for existing use cases
Could you add more on how we might test in different types of clouds or what hardware would be needed to test the QAT and AES-NI homing assignments ? I think SRIOV and Huge Pages is well known but not sure of the others.
Not sure how we would test the HW capability assignment with "real" private or public clouds vs having to create a simulated Openstack environment (seems hard and only useful for testing). Perhaps a table that maps the HPA name to the public cloud names for the feature for Azure/AWS testing ?
Refer to a comment and question on the following page as well:
HPA Release 4.0 focus
Alexander Vul - the policy team would like to fix how the Policy SDC Distribution Client handles the OOF policy model. Unfortunately due to time constraints it was hard coded into the application code and not put in a separate model. See this gerrit review for more information: https://gerrit.onap.org/r/#/c/73502/
So for example, if someone changes the model from "true" to "True", I shouldn't have to provide a new application, but rather fix a model.
Pamela Dragosh - This is a good idea. We will add this to the list!