The Linux Foundation IT had migrated all projects off of Mailman to Groups.io’s managed service to increase the scalability of our overall IT service platform. ONAP's lists were migrated on June 20,2018
I'm subscribed but my emails bounce or are held for moderation
If you are subscribed and receiving mail from the distribution list but your posts bounce or are held, you probably have one email address subscribed email to the list but you are sending email from a different address.
Creating an alias for multiple accounts
- Login to groups.io
- Click on your name in the upper right
- Select "account" from the pulldown
- Click the "Login" option on the left of the screen above "Preferences"
- Click on "Advanced Settings"
- Add your alternate email address
The info in this PDF walks you through setting up an alias.
How do I find old email/wiki links that point to pipermail?
The groups.io web interface has a much more robust search feature than mailman so you may simply be able to find what you are looking for that way based upon email title. You can however simply do a manual substitution of the url as follows:
What are the key differences between Mailman and Groups.io?
- Groups.io has a modern interface, robust user security model, and interactive, searchable archives
- Groups.io provides advanced features including muting threads and integrations with modern tools like GitHub, Slack, and Trello
- Groups.io also has optional extras like a shared calendar, polling, chat, a wiki, and more
- Groups.io uses a concept of subgroups, where members first join the project “group” (a master list), then they choose the specific “subgroup” lists they want to subscribe to
How do the costs compare?
The Linux Foundation can provide project-branded Groups.io accounts for much less cost than managing our in-house Mailman systems.
How is the experience different for me as a list moderator or participant?
In many ways, it is very much the same. You will still find the main group at your existing URL and sub-groups equate to the more focused mailing lists based on the community’s needs. Here is an
What is different is Groups.io’s simple but highly functional UI that will make the experience of moderating or participating in the community discussions more enjoyable.
Where do I find the settings and owner/moderator tools?
To change settings while in a group or subgroup, left click “Admin” from the side menu.
Then from “Admin” you can select:
“Settings” to change overall settings for a group, including privacy and message policy settings.
“Members” to manage people within a group, including adjusting their role and privileges
“Pending” to view messages pending moderation
Is there online help?
Yes, please reference their help documentation.
Tagging / Following Topics on the onap-discuss list
- Email threads related to specific development projects are tracked in the onap-discussion list using tags in the Subject line of your message
- The email tag to use can be found on your project page.
- Full List of onap-discuss tags
- Legacy Tag list (pre groups.io)
Unsubscribing from a mailing list:
- Use the groups.io interface to susubscribe
- Send an email to LISTNAMEfirstname.lastname@example.org
- The name of the email address can be found within the description of the group form this URL https://lists.onap.org/g/main/subgroups