One of the primary advantages of a virtualized cloud infrastructure is the ability to maximize resource utilization. In a PNF environment, resource allocation is relatively static and therefore enough capacity needs to be available for peak loads. This leads to many inefficiencies during normal operating times. In the software controlled environment of virtualized resources, ONAP can allocate resources to a VNF as they are needed. Scaling is the process utilized by ONAP to change the amount of resources allocated to a VNF
- Auto Scale Out - Provide a Closed Loop Response to high demand within a VNF. COMMITTED
- Primary impacts will be: Policy, CLAMP, SDC, SO
- Enhancements to Manual Scale Out (from Beijing Release) COMMITTED
- Healthcheck fix - ()
- ConfigScaleOut() - Controller should attain configuration information from AAI instead of SO (APPC, SDNC, SO)
- SDNC Resource Assignment - IP Address of new instance needs to be added to AAI (SDNC)
- SDNC needs to import all Beijing capability (SDNC)
- Controller Type - In Beijing, the operator had to manually select the controller type (SDNC or APPC) within VID. The controller type should be part of the VNF model and not a run time option. ONAP components should be able to look within the VNF model to determine which controller to use for a particular VNF. Primary impacts: SDC, Modeling, VID
- Homing and Capacity- When new instances are requested ONAP should do a check to determine placement and license availability. This feature was descoped in Beijing. Primary impacts will be: SO, OOF, SDNC and SDC
- Future Release
- Scale In (Auto and Manual) - This feature will complete the scaling capabilities for VNFs and will requirem a command to drain and move traffic from an existing instanceso that it can be removed from the pool of active instances. Primary impacts should be: AOOC, SDNC, SO, Policy, CLAMP, VID, SDC
- TOSCA Capabilities - Manual Scale Out in Beijing only allowed scaling of HEAT based VNFs. As the TOSCA model becomes more mature within ONAP we will need to enable scaling for TOSCA based VNFs
Dynamic scaling gives an operator the tools it needs to maximize efficiency of the resources dedicated to the cloud. ONAP's control environment allows it to assign resources where they are most needed and reallocate them when they are needed by different VNF. This allows the cloud environment to achieve a much higher resource utilization level than the old data centers it is replacing.
Casablanca will focus on Auto Scale Out. If possible we may attempt to complete Scale In also. Manual Scale Out was completed in Beijing.
Scaling Use Case Presentations
Scaling Use Case Team Meetings
For Casablanca we will be using both the weekly Scaling call as well as the weekly Closed Loop call to progress the Scaling Use Case.
Weekly Scaling Meeting
Time: UTC 1300 / China 2100 / Eastern 0900 / Pacific 0600
Weekly Closed Loop Subcommittee Meeting
Time: UTC 1400 / China 2200 / Eastern 1000 / Pacific 0700
The Auto Scale Out Use Case for Casablanca will have impacts on the following projects: Policy, CLAMP, SO, OOF, APPC, SDNC, SDC, and VID
Please see the Impacts page for a more detailed list of requirements in each project.
|No commitment for Controller_Type since the requirements are still unknown
|No Requirements at this time
|Can only support R2 functionality
|Add Risks from Pam
|No Requirements at this time